Canvas is the institute’s Learning Management System (also known as a Virtual Learning Environment). The system is integrated with the institute’s Student Record System meaning that every module has its own area inside Canvas with all staff and students enrolled against it or given access to it based on the most up-to-date information.
Canvas was originally chosen as the institute’s Learning Management System because it is so easy to use so even if you’ve not tried it before it is easy to pick up the basics. The system supports a number of important online teaching-related functions.
Some functions include:
- The ability to access notes and content put up by your lecturers
- The ability submit assignment or other files
- The ability to track your work and progress and get notifications
- The ability to communicate with your lecturers and fellow students
- In addition to using Canvas on your desktop or laptop you can also access Canvas on your smartphone or tablet by downloading the Canvas App
Some lecturers may also be making use of screencasting or other software to create more media-rich content in the form of narrated slides shows, video or software demos.
There are lots of ways to learn more about Canvas.
- All CIT students have been enrolled on a special “canvas student” course which provides lots of additional information via Canvas itself.
- Instructure, the company behind Canvas also provides 24/7 support via text, webchat and email for staff and students alike. You can access this support from within Canvas.
- You can also find information on more advanced Canvas activities and features in the Canvas Student Knowledgebase, developed by the Department of Technology Enhanced Learning.